Hong Kong authorities have decided to drop charges against a construction site worker after earlier accusing him of assaulting a police officer during a scuffle in an Occupy protest in Mong Kok last October.
The Department of Justice (DoJ) is abandoning legal proceedings against 37-year-old Chow Chung-ki as a video clip appeared to back the version of the defendant, who has denied the assault charges leveled by police officer Wong Chi-sing, Ming Pao Daily News reported Wednesday.
A DoJ spokesperson was quoted as saying that the police submitted some video footage obtained from open online sources after the trial had started.
In the video clip, it was observed that Chow and several police officers were shouting at each other and that Chow was soon arrested, in an incident that took place in the early hours of October 5 outside Wing Cheung Building at 404 Reclamation Street in Mong Kok.
But the footage didn’t show Chow kicking Wong, contrary to the latter’s allegations.
Wong had earlier told the court that he was kicked by Chow, who then sneaked into Wing Cheung Building for cover. Chow was subsequently arrested when he came out of the building, Wong said.
The police officer told Magistrate Kenneth Chan that he could not see clearly what happened after Chow went into the building, but the judge questioned how an alleged injury to the officer’s finger could have impaired his vision, the report said.
Chow’s lawyer said Wong’s statements were self-contradictory.
He pointed out that the police officer had in his written statement alleged that Chow had attacked him from the front, but later changed the version in court to say that Chow attacked him from behind.
Although the source of the new video clip, which seems to absolve Chow, was unknown and unverified — and was also unlikely to be used as evidence by the defendant’s lawyer — the DoJ decided to drop the charges, the report said.
– Contact us at [email protected]