The mother of the 12-year-old boy from mainland China who overstayed in Hong Kong for nine years has spoken out for the first time.
The woman, surnamed Ng, admitted she abandoned her son 12 years ago and refuses to take him back, Ming Pao Daily reported Monday.
Ng told Cable TV News in a telephone interview Sunday that her mother, surnamed Chow, was “crazy” to take Siu Yau-wai back to the Mainland despite knowing clearly that Ng did not want to raise the child.
While she admitted she had been to Hong Kong several times after Siu was born, Ng said she was in town to visit Buddhist temples.
Meanwhile, Chow was quoted as saying in a South China Morning Post report Sunday that an assistant to Federation of Trade Unions vice-chairwoman Chan Yuen-han told her Thursday that the FTU had contacted Siu’s parents.
Chow said the assistant told her that Yau-wai must turn himself in at the Immigration Department that afternoon, or he would face mandatory repatriation.
The grandmother said she agreed after she was promised the boy’s parents would be waiting for them at the border control point.
However, Chow told the SCMP, when they arrived in Shenzhen, there was no sign of Siu’s parents and only a Putonghua-speaking driver, whom she was told had been arranged by the FTU, came to pick them up.
The driver would not tell Chow and the boy where they were being taken, only saying that it would be as far away as possible, so she said she forced him to stop the car and let them out.
Chow, who is now staying in a guesthouse in Shenzhen with her grandson, said Chan had deceived her and her grandson, the SCMP said.
Chan’s office said it sent staff to look for Chow in the mainland but could not find her or the boy.
The FTU said it had never been in touch with the boy’s parents and called for Chow to reveal their whereabouts so that union staff can help him settle down in his new life.
– Contact us at [email protected]