A mainland businessman urged Hong Kong police to clear his name after he was tagged as one of the suspects in the kidnapping of a tycoon’s granddaughter last month.
Wang Xiaobo, of Weng’an in southwestern China’s Guizhou province, said he had nothing to do with the April 25 kidnapping case, and he is a law-abiding man engaged in the construction and entertainment businesses, Apple Daily reported on Friday.
The 34-year-old man said he lost a construction contract worth 20 million yuan (US$3.22 million) after police put him on the wanted list.
Queenie Law, a 29-year-old granddaughter of the late tycoon Law Ting-pong who created the Bossini brand in 1987, was abducted by a gang of six men who broke into her mansion in Clear Water Bay on the night of April 25.
She was released unharmed on April 28 after a HK$28 million (US$3.6 million) ransom was paid.
Police later posted photos of two suspects, including Wang. The other suspect, Zheng Xingwang, was arrested earlier this month.
Wang said when confronted about the wrong accusation, police told him to keep a low profile and not to be interviewed by media.
He urged the police to take the initiative to rectify their mistake and tell the public that he is innocent.
Otherwise, he will take legal steps to clear his name and seek damages, Wang said.
– Contact us at [email protected]