Date
28 July 2017
A Guangdong police officer displays cash and valuables seized from some of the suspects in the Queenie Law (inset) kidnapping case. Photos: HKEJ, Xinhua
A Guangdong police officer displays cash and valuables seized from some of the suspects in the Queenie Law (inset) kidnapping case. Photos: HKEJ, Xinhua

More arrests in Bossini heiress kidnapping case

Mainland authorities have arrested more people in connection with the kidnapping of Bossini heiress Queenie Law in Hong Kong last month.

Officials from the Guangdong Provincial Public Security Bureau said at a news conference in Guangzhou Thursday that a total of eight suspects have been nabbed in the province so far, Ming Pao Daily reported.

That brings to nine the number of people who have been detained in connection with the case. 

Guangdong authorities previously reported six arrests while Hong Kong police nabbed one suspect. 

Hong Kong police said early last week that they detained a suspect, 29-year-old man named Zheng Xingwang, as he was trying to cross the border into the mainland at Lo Wu. 

Guo Shaobo, deputy director of the Guangdong Public Security Bureau, said on Thursday that the gang crossed the border into Hong Kong from Shenzhen in early April.

Of the suspects, only Zheng had a valid visa while the others entered Hong Kong illegally, Guo said.

The gang spent more than half a month scoping out mansions in Kowloon Peak, also known as Fei Ngor Shan, before choosing the residence of Queenie Law to commit their crime, the official said.

Six of the gang members are said to have broken into the mansion on the night of April 25 and fled with Queenie Law, the granddaughter of late tycoon Law Ting-pong who created the Bossini brand in 1987.

The Bossini heiress was later released unharmed on April 28 after family members paid a HK$28 million (US$3.6 million) ransom.

According to the Guangdong police, all the members of the gang were from Guizhou.

Authorities have seized about HK$2.8 million in cash and some valuables so far from the suspects. The mainland officials believe that several members of the gang are still at large.

The Hong Kong police said they will keep cooperating with mainland authorities to hunt down the fugitives and recover the ransom money.

Meanwhile, the report said that it is not clear whether the people arrested in the mainland will be tried in Hong Kong, given the lack of a pact between Hong Kong and the mainland on such cases.

However, it is understood that the retrieved cash and valuables will be returned to the victim.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe