The police officers who are being probed over a brutal attack on a pro-democracy activist last year are receiving their salaries despite being suspended from work duties, Apple Daily reported.
Security Secretary Lai Tung-kwok, in a written reply to a lawmaker’s query, said on Wednesday that the seven police officers who had been accused of beating up Civic Party member Ken Tsang had been suspended from work on October 16, just a day after the alleged beating incident took place.
On November 26, the officers were charged for “assault causing bodily harm” after the attack on Tsang at a dark corner near an Occupy protest site in Admiralty.
According to the Police Force Ordinance, police officers at the chief inspector grade or below are entitled to half their salary during the period of any criminal investigation. The pay will cease only if the police officers are convicted.
Meanwhile, the police officers are entitled to full pay if the investigations are related to actions carried out during the course of their duties, Lam said.
However, he did not comment specifically on whether the seven officers under investigation are getting half or full pay at the moment.
Lai also refused to comment when asked about the possible timing of launch of formal prosecution against the officers.
He merely said that the Justice Department is studying the intelligence provided by the police and other legal issues, and that it is also seeking advice from independent senior counsel.
– Contact us at [email protected]