Date
26 September 2017
Choi (inset) claimed that police officers had wrongly accused him of obstructing them during an Occupy protest last year. Photos: HKEJ, Apple Daily
Choi (inset) claimed that police officers had wrongly accused him of obstructing them during an Occupy protest last year. Photos: HKEJ, Apple Daily

Occupy-related case dismissed as judge faults police testimonies

A scaffolder who was charged with some offenses during the 2014 Occupy protests walked free from a court on Wednesday after a magistrate ruled that testimonies by two police constables involved in the case were contradictory.

The defendant, a 25-year-old man surnamed Choi, was arrested in October last year for allegedly trying to ram police shields and break through a defense line set up by the police in Mong Kok.

He was charged with preventing police officers from performing their duties and for resisting arrest.

One constable said in his testimony that he and his colleagues had to subdue Choi because he ignored warnings, Apple Daily reported.

However, the other constable said that he alone had tied up Choi’s hands before colleagues came to help him.

The magistrate considered the testimonies contradictory and decided to free Choi on the ground that there were unclear points in the case.

Choi said later outside the court that he could tolerate being arrested, but not accusations of things he did not do.

According to him, he was initially charged with possession of assault weapons as the police found a saw and scaffolding knife in his bag.

He said he had just got off work when he went to an Occupy protest site in Mong Kok. 

However, the police later changed the charge to resisting police officers in execution of duty, which Choi claimed he had never done so.

Hence, he decided to enter a plea of “not guilty” to the charge filed against him.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe