Six of the 10 people arrested in an alleged bomb-making plot in Hong Kong have been charged with conspiracy to cause explosion and possession of dangerous items.
The six, comprising five men and one woman, could face a lengthy jail term if convicted.
The police, meanwhile, are stepping up their investigation following the arrests, which came after a raid Sunday night on an abandoned old building in Sai Kung.
Officers plan to visit chemicals companies and suppliers in various districts as part of the probe, aiming to curb any unlawful sales activities, according to Apple Daily.
Nine of the ten people arrested in the suspected bomb plot have claimed to be members of a radical group called the National Independent Party.
A purported statement from the party went viral online Tuesday night. In the statement, the group accepted responsibility for the bomb-making attempt and said that the “revolution” is yet to end.
On Tuesday, the police took one of ten arrested people back to the vacant former ATV film studio — where the explosives were uncovered earlier this week — to help reconstruct the crime scene.
The man, said to be a 33-year-old bearing the surname Chan, was taken to the old building in Sai Kung and interrogated by a number of police officers.
According to the report, the police had earlier found several liters of triacetone triperoxide (TATP), a chemical that can be used to make explosives, at the man’s home.
Chan has reportedly admitted his involvement in bomb-making activity. He is believed to be a core member of the National Independent Party, which has been under close police observation since March.
Authorities are now examining some air guns found at the studio to determine if the items exceeded the legal firepower limit, and also conducting tests on about four kilograms of a white powder seized in the raid.
– Contact us at [email protected]