Dr. Chan Kin-man, a co-founder of last year’s Occupy Central movement, said he will not rule out the possibility of another wave of protests in the fight for democratic reforms in Hong Kong.
At a rally organized by the pan-democratic camp Wednesday evening, Chan said he and Rev. Chu Yiu-ming — another Occupy founder — will consider initiating “occupy” actions again as the public makes it clear their desire for genuine democracy.
The comments came on the eve of the LegCo vote on the government’s plan for the 2017 chief executive election.
Hong Kong’s lawmakers on Thursday rejected the Beijing-backed election reform bill in a widely expected move. The veto came amid a walkout by most pro-establishment legislators.
Chan said the Occupy movement may have been dissolved, but that does not mean that the fight for democracy has ended.
Hongkongers are brave enough to stand up and “say No”, even though the rest of the world may be scared of Beijing, he said.
In other comments, Chan said the government will make another attempt to enact a controversial national security law, regardless of who will become Hong Kong’s next chief executive.
Veto of the political reform package will add to Beijing’s paranoia, he said.
At the rally Wednesday, supporters of the democracy camp called on their lawmakers to reject the fake universal suffrage plan.
Emily Lau Wai-hing, chairperson of the Democratic Party, said veto of the package would mark the start of a new phase in the democracy fight.
Meanwhile, China’s state-controlled Global Times criticized the opponents of the reform package.
In an editorial Thursday, the paper said the damage caused by the opponents could be enormous.
“One man one vote” would be significant progress for democratic development in Hong Kong, but some short-sighted activists are preventing that just because they want to show Beijing in a bad light, it said.
This article is adapted from a Hong Kong Economic Journal report on June 18.
Translation by Charis Heung
– Contact us at [email protected]