A Saudi-led coalition has stepped up air strikes across Yemen, killing nearly 100 people on Monday, Reuters said, citing a report from the Houthi-run state news agency.
The United Nations has been pushing for a halt to the air strikes and fighting that have killed nearly 3,000 people in Yemen since March when the Saudi-led coalition intervened against the Iranian-backed Houthi forces to try to restore exiled President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
The Houthi-run Saba news agency said 54 people had been killed in a series of raids in the Amran province, north of the capital Sanaa, including 40 who had been shopping at a market in an area called Lower Joub in the Eyal Yazeed district.
It said a number of women and children were among the dead.
Saba said Saudi-led war planes had also killed more than 40 people in a raid on a livestock market in the town of al-Foyoush in southern Yemen.
Local residents also reported 30 deaths in a raid they said apparently targeted a Houthi checkpoint on the main road between Aden and Lahj. They said 10 of the dead were Houthi fighters.
UN special envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed held talks with officials from the dominant Houthi group to try to broker a ceasefire to allow aid supplies to be delivered.
The Yemeni government, exiled in Riyadh, said consultations were being held on implementing an April UN resolution calling for the Houthis to quit cities seized since September and for aid supplies to be sent to stricken Yemeni civilians.
– Contact us at [email protected]