Date
28 March 2017
Police have nabbed the third suspect in the burglary case at Discovery Bay but are yet to recover all the stolen cash and jewelry. Photo: gov.hk, Apple Daily
Police have nabbed the third suspect in the burglary case at Discovery Bay but are yet to recover all the stolen cash and jewelry. Photo: gov.hk, Apple Daily

Police nab third suspect in Discovery Bay burglary case

Hong Kong police have arrested the third suspect in the Discovery Bay burglary case, but are yet to recover all the stolen loot.

The man, a 22-year-old mainlander, was nabbed Wednesday at the Lok Ma Chau border control point as he was trying to go back to China, Apple Daily reported.

The police found only about 7,000 yuan on the person, said to bear the surname Ya. 

This means that authorities are yet to recover about HK$5 million worth of jewelry and some cash from the burglary last week.

Last Friday, three mainland men were said to have broken into a luxury home in Discovery Bay and carted away a safe containing huge amount of cash and jewelry.

Two of the suspects, both aged 24, were nabbed the next day at the Discovery Bay pier. Police found HK$1.09 million in cash in local and foreign currencies in their backpacks. 

The hunt then began for their accomplice who was suspected to be on the run with the rest of the loot. 

But when the suspect was seized late Wednesday, he didn’t have the safe or the missing jewelry.

The arrestee was believed to have traveled to Hong Kong from the mainland using a two-way travel permits like the two other members of the gang.

All the three are said to be from China’s Guangxi province.

– Contact us at [email protected]

EL/JP/RC

 

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe