Date
20 January 2017
Kevin Lau (wearing glasses) says he is still undergoing physiotherapy sessions three times a week for his legs. Photo: RTHK
Kevin Lau (wearing glasses) says he is still undergoing physiotherapy sessions three times a week for his legs. Photo: RTHK

Kevin Lau attackers offered HK$100,000 each, court told

Two men accused in last year’s knife attack on former Ming Pao Daily chief editor Kevin Lau Chun-to denied charges of unlawfully and maliciously causing grievous bodily harm with intent, RTHK reported on Wednesday.

In a hearing at the High Court on Wednesday, the prosecution said the two knifemen, Yip Kim-wah and Wong Chi-wah, were offered HK$100,000 each to launch the brutal attack on Lau in February last year.

Using a stolen motorcycle and car plate, Yip and Wong followed Lau to familiarize themselves with the victim’s daily routine, the court heard.

They had planned to carry out the attack on Feb. 25; however, with no sight of Lau, they postponed it for the following day, the prosecution said.

In the morning of Feb. 26, the duo allegedly followed Lau from his home in Kowloon Tong to Tai Hong Street in Sai Wan Ho.

As soon as Lau parked his car, the two attacked Lau, causing injuries to his left shoulder, back and legs, the prosecution said, adding that Lau called the police himself.

Lau revealed after the court hearing that he is still undergoing physiotherapy sessions three times a week for his legs.

He said he could manage short walks of less than 30 minutes but needed to exert extra effort and pay more attention when walking because of his numb feet and immobile toes.

Those who attended the hearing were required to wait outside the courtroom and subjected to security checks before re-entering the courtroom ahead of Lau’s appearance.

– Contact us at [email protected]

DY/JP/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter