Date
17 January 2017
Work has been suspended at a drainage project in Wan Chai where a Nepalese worker was electrocuted on Wednesday. Photo: RTHK
Work has been suspended at a drainage project in Wan Chai where a Nepalese worker was electrocuted on Wednesday. Photo: RTHK

Nepalese drainage worker killed by electric shock in Wan Chai

A Nepalese worker was killed by electric shock at a construction site in Wan Chai on Wednesday.

Lama Mingma Tshering, 39, was working in a vertical well 150 meters below the ground to replace a water pump for a drainage service project at Wan Shing Street and Hung Hing Street when the accident happened, Sky Post reported.

It was believed that he went unconscious after receiving an electric shock.

A Nepalese co-worker tried to help Lama but was repulsed by electric current when he touched the victim’s body. He also sustained minor injuries and his arms went numb.

Other workers immediately turned off the power supply and rushed the two workers to hospital.

Lama was certified dead after resuscitation efforts failed. The other injured worker remained in the hospital for further observation.

Police are coordinating with the Labour Department in an investigation.

A spokesperson for the Drainage Services Department said the contractor for the project has suspended work at the construction site while a safety inspection is being conducted.

– Contact us at [email protected]

EL/JP/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter