Talks on a controversial Taiwan curriculum have collapsed, with some student representatives walking out in disappointment.
Education Minister Wu Se-hwa and a 10-member panel comprising seven students and three teachers held their respective positions, according to Ming Pao Daily.
The panel demanded Wu’s resignation and the scrapping of curriculum changes critics said are an attempt to introduce “China-centric” views.
Wu said the changes became effective in August last year and could no longer be withdrawn unless they are proven illegal or unsuitable.
The students said Wu has the authority to delay its implementation.
Some of the student representatives walked out before the talks ended, saying they were dismayed at how Wu was failing to address their concerns.
One of them, Chu Chen, said they were prepared to accept a delay in the implementation of the curriculum.
He warned that some anti-curriculum protesters have threatened extreme measures to bring public attention to their cause.
On July 30, protest leader Lin Kuan-hua committed suicide after complaining about not being able to “do what’s right and fight for what we want”.
Chu said the students will announce their next move at a press conference.
Meanwhile, legislative speaker Wang Jin-pyng said he will convene inter-party talks on Tuesday to decide whether there should be an extraordinary legislative session to address the controversy.
The curriculum adjustments include removal or revision of key incidents in Taiwanese history in textbooks.
– Contact us at [email protected]