Former Ming Pao editor Kevin Lau called on authorities to bring to justice the mastermind behind the brutal knife attack he suffered last year, after the High Court found two men guilty of the crime.
Yip Kim-wah and Wong Chi-wah, both 39, were found guilty of inflicting serious bodily harm on Lau on Feb. 26 last year, Ming Pao Daily reported on Friday.
They were also convicted of stealing a motor bike and a licence plate they used as a getaway vehicle.
Sentences will be handed out on Aug. 21.
Speaking to reporters after the verdict, Lau said he is grateful to the court, the jury and the police for working on the case.
He insisted that the attack was connected to his work as a journalist.
He said he has put together a report from over a hundred news stories done in the past few years, which could have “made someone angry”.
The report is now with the police for further investigation, he said.
Lau said he is still hopeful that the police could find out who was behind the attack for the sake of press freedom and other journalists.
He said the verdict has slightly eased people’s worries over the outlook of the media industry.
Lau stressed that one can never underestimate the impact of violence on young people entering the journalism profession, and as such, it is important to restore public confidence that the press will remain free.
The Ming Pao Staff Association issued a statement welcoming the court’s decision. It pledged to continue performing its role in society wholeheartedly, adding that it will not yield to violence.
Meanwhile, police said investigation into the attack is still ongoing.
Nine people, including eight males, believed to have something to do with the case, are due to report to the police by the end of this month, police said.
– Contact us at [email protected]