Date
20 January 2017
Traces of 'ice' were found in the urine sample of a 2-year-old girl who underwent tests at a Tuen Mun hospital. The child's parents have been taken into custody on suspicion of ill-treatment and neglect of the child. Photos: HK Govt, wikipe
Traces of 'ice' were found in the urine sample of a 2-year-old girl who underwent tests at a Tuen Mun hospital. The child's parents have been taken into custody on suspicion of ill-treatment and neglect of the child. Photos: HK Govt, wikipe

Parents arrested after crystal meth detected in child’s urine

A Hong Kong couple has been arrested Wednesday after medical tests revealed a banned substance in the urine sample of one of their young children.

Police were called in after staff at a Tuen Mun hospital detected crystal methamphetamine, or “ice”, in the urine of a two-year-old girl, Ming Pao Daily reported.

The parents were detained on suspicion of ill-treatment and neglect.

According to the police, the mother — a 37-year-old person surnamed Law — had taken her two daughters, aged 2 and 1, to a doctor in Tuen Mun as they were not feeling well.

Nurses at the hospital then took urine samples of the children to conduct some tests. A test result which came out Wednesday night revealed crystal meth in the sample of the older child.

The result for the younger one was said to be still pending.

Hospital staff then alerted the police, who subsequently detained the mother and her husband, a 43-year-old bearing the surname Wu.

The Tuen Mun district police is conducting an investigation. It is understood that the parents are both drug addicts with previous criminal records.

Meanwhile, the children have been placed under the care of the Social Welfare Department.

Authorities are now trying to figure out how the drug got into the girl’s system, whether she was fed or took it by mistake.

Ellis Hon Kam-lun, a professor at the department of pediatrics at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, said crystal meth could cause children to show symptoms such as hyperactivity or being in a daze or having hallucinations.

Consumption over the long term could lead to death, he said.

As for the present case, it is possible that the parents may have also taken other drugs, he said, urging that the two girls be kept in hospital for several days for observation and treatment.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter