Date
20 July 2017
Activist Ken Tsang (right) said the long delays have made him lose confidence in the police, noting that there is solid evidence against the seven officers. Photo: HKEJ
Activist Ken Tsang (right) said the long delays have made him lose confidence in the police, noting that there is solid evidence against the seven officers. Photo: HKEJ

Still no charges almost a year after police beat up protester

Eleven months have passed since seven police officers were accused of beating up a pro-democracy protester, and it looks like the case may still drag on for who knows how long.

The seven officers accused of assaulting Occupy activist Ken Tsang Kin-chiu during a police clearing operation on Lung Wo Road in October last year have yet to be charged, Apple Daily said.

Former Police Commissioner Andy Tsang had said before he retired in May that investigations related to the case had been completed and a decision by the Department of Justice was pending.

Stephen Lo Wai-chung said after he succeeded Tsang in May that investigations would be conducted without prejudice to the case.

But he said on Saturday the police department was still waiting for the justice department’s decision, adding that the seven were receiving their salaries despite their suspension.

Ken Tsang said all the delays have made him lose confidence in the police, noting that there is solid evidence against the seven officers, including video footages from media outfits that covered the incident.

Although the High Court has accepted Ken Tsang’s application for a judicial review to obtain the personal details of the seven officers to pursue the case privately, the judge has denied his request to rule they were involved in illegal arrest and assault on the ground that he should file civil claims for compensation.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/JP/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe