A couple cried openly as they watched flames engulf their new jewelry and audio equipment store on Yen Chow Street in Sham Shui Po.
An estimated HK$3 million was lost in the fire that hit the store which was just about to open for business, Ming Pao Daily reported Thursday.
The store owner surnamed Chan said the fire started around 2 p.m. on Wednesday, while a 65-year-old worker was doing some welding work at the shop.
Chan and the worker tried to put out the fire, but it quickly spread across the shop because of the many boxes lying around and the highly flammable sound-absorbing material inside the audio equipment.
Responding firemen took about an hour to put out the fire.
No one was injured, but the fire razed the merchandise, including antique watches, jewelries and high-end speakers.
Chan said he and his wife had a store on Apliu Street before moving to the new location.
They said the new store had not been insured.
– Contact us at [email protected]