Date
23 March 2017
Anyone would love to have free extras to go with their order, but not the kind a customer found in a piece of sushi she bought from Uo-Show. Photos: Apple Daily, internet
Anyone would love to have free extras to go with their order, but not the kind a customer found in a piece of sushi she bought from Uo-Show. Photos: Apple Daily, internet

Latest Maxim’s horror story: customer finds chewed gum in sushi

It doesn’t happen everytime, but following the recent spate of incidents wherein foreign objects were found in restaurant food, some people may now be having second thoughts about eating out or ordering dinner from some fast-food joints.

In the latest court case, a woman found a chewed gum inside a piece of sushi she ordered at a Maxim’s Caterers restaurant, Apple Daily reported on Friday.

Court records show that on July 8, 2014, a woman bought 10 pieces of sushi from Uo-Show, a Japanese-style takeway restaurant in Sha Tin. 

Anyone would love to have complimentary extras to go with their orders, but not the kind the customer found in one of sushis she ordered. 

She must have thought at first it was a sort of dressing but it didn’t go well with the rest of the food. So, needless to say, the customer was beyond disgusted when it dawned on her it was a chewed gum.

Maxim’s Caterers, a large food and beverage corporation and restaurant chain, owns over 700 restaurants including a number of popular brands such as Wildfire and Thai Basil in Hong Kong.

It was learned that Maxim’s had a total of 145 court convictions for “selling food which is not of the quality demanded by the purchaser”.

Asking for leniency from the judge, the company’s lawyer explained that the 145 convictions were not that many, considering that those cases were spread over the past 15 years, and that the chain has 700 restaurants.

Still, the judge ordered the restaurant group to pay a fine of HK$6,000 plus the HK$3,800 fee for the laboratory testing of the evidence used in the case.

Last week, a rusted screw was found inside a bowl of soup noodle from another Maxim’s outlet.

In July, Maxim’s Group was also slapped a HK$8,000 fine after a cockroach was found in a plate of Sichuan-style shrimp balls served by its Jade Garden Chinese restaurant in Star House, Tsim Sha Tsui, and in another case in March it was ordered to pay HK$7,500 after a plastic glove was found in a loaf of bread from one of its shops.

In each of the cases, the catering company promised to improve sanitation and hygiene in its operations. It’s still working on it.

– Contact us at [email protected]

BT/AC/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe