A primary school in Tuen Mun has banned its pupils from playing a mobile game in which players can make their virtual characters jump off a building, Apple Daily reported Thursday.
The deputy principal, surnamed Tse, of the Castle Peak Catholic Primary School said some parents told the school last week that they were worried about a mobile game that involved suicidal jumps from a building.
Tse said the school hasn’t found any of its pupils playing the game but is keeping a close eye on the issue for it does not want pupils to mistake suicide for a solution to their problems.
The school has issued a notice to parents telling them to monitor their children so that tragedies can be prevented.
The game was reportedly developed by an Argentinian company and rolled out in early 2011, with a rating of medium violence — that is, it is not suitable for players under 12 years of age.
Among several versions of it, one requires losers in a “rock, paper, scissors” game to order their virtual characters to jump off a building and control them to avoid obstructions during the fall before they reach the ground and smash their heads.
Players obtain statistics from the game — what height the characters jump from, what body parts are injured and estimated medical costs — before they choose whether to play again.
Dr. Raymond Tang, who provides professional psychological services to children, adolescents and students, said imposing a ban is not an effective step but could arouse the curiosity of the children instead.
He suggested that teachers teach their pupils that mobile games are not real and should not be mixed up with real life.
– Contact us at [email protected]