Hong Kong authorities will decide this week whether to formally charge seven officers accused of assaulting a pro-democracy activist.
The announcement is expected anytime soon after the Department of Justice (DOJ) confirmed it has given its legal opinion on the matter and consulted a British Queen’s Counsel.
Police authorities said they have received the DOJ documents but refused to elaborate.
Ming Pao is reporting it received separate confirmations from the DOJ and the Hong Kong police.
The seven officers are on bail, pending formal charges, and are due to appear in court in mid-October.
Barrister Joseph Tse said he expects charges to be announced this week if the DOJ had recommended prosecution with finality.
Another barrister, Ronny Tong, said a similar opinion from the Queen’s Counsel should be enough.
The officers are accused of beating activist Ken Tsang during last year’s democracy protests.
As of Friday last week, 150 case reports relating to complaints against police during the 79-day protest had been sent to the Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC), the police watchdog.
Tsang’s case was one of them.
On Monday, IPCC chairman Larry Kwok said it is waiting for a report from the Complaints Against Police Office regarding its own investigation.
Meanwhile, assault complaints against former police superintendent Chu King-wai remain unresolved more than two months after he retired from the force.
IPCC deputy secretary general Daniel Mui said the watchdog has been pressing the police on the progress of their investigation but adding they need “reasonable time” to complete it.
– Contact us at [email protected]