Date
24 March 2017
A woman had to be rushed to Princess Margaret Hospital Tuesday after she ate wild mushrooms. Photos: wikia.com, bighongkong.com
A woman had to be rushed to Princess Margaret Hospital Tuesday after she ate wild mushrooms. Photos: wikia.com, bighongkong.com

Woman hospitalized after eating wild mushrooms

A 48-year-old woman was hospitalized in Hong Kong Tuesday due to food poisoning after she ate wild mushrooms, Ming Pao Daily reported.

The woman suffered abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea about two hours after consuming mushrooms at home, the report said.

She was rushed to Princess Margaret Hospital, and is now said to be in a stable condition.

The health department’s Center for Health Protection (CHP) was quoted as saying that an initial investigation has shown that the patient had consumed wild mushrooms picked from the roadside at a bus stop near Cheung Ching Estate in Tsing Yi.

The CHP will send the remaining mushrooms to the Hospital Authority’s Poison Information Centre to identify its breed and toxin, the agency said.

Authorities, meanwhile, warned the public not to pick wild mushrooms for consumption, pointing out that it is difficult to distinguish edible mushroom species from inedible ones.

– Contact us at [email protected]

KZ/DY/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe