A high school student is claiming to have hacked the personal e-mails of CIA director John Brennan, saying he is angry about US foreign policy.
The CIA is treating the incident as a crime carried out with malicious intent, according to BBC News.
The information was released via Wikileaks.
Six documents published on the whistleblower website include a draft security clearance application containing personal information.
A CIA statement said the hacking of the Brennan family account was a crime carried out with malicious intent.
The student told the New York Post he had found work-related files.
His Twitter account, where he is described as 13 years old, has published redacted images of what appears to be government information.
Wikileaks announced in a tweet on Wednesday that it would release some of the information later in the day.
The documents were made available a few hours later. They included a draft on national security challenges said to have been created in 2007.
The last unfinished paragraph is headed “Damaging Leaks of Classified Information”.
A 2008 letter about interrogation methods is also included, purporting to be from the vice chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence to his fellow board members.
Wikileaks said it would release more documents “over the coming days”.
The FBI and the Secret Service are investigating the hacking.
The CIA said there was no indication that any of the documents released so far was classified.
– Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org