Seven Hong Kong policemen charged with beating a pro-democracy activist will have their case heard by the District Court when the trial resumes on Dec. 8.
Magistrate Bina Chainrai adjourned the case after deciding on its transfer, Apple Daily reports.
Chainrai extended the defendants’ HK$1,000 (US$129) bail and said they can apply for legal aid.
David Leung, deputy director of public prosecutions, said the Department of Justice is ready for the move.
Meanwhile, defense counsel Bernard Chung said his clients will reserve the right to submit evidence that they were not at the scene of the alleged crime.
Chainrai said any such evidence must be brought to the court’s attention before the next hearing.
Chung also sought the court’s permission to have the proceedings conducted in English.
Dozens of protesters demonstrated outside the courthouse in support of the officers.
They were led by Leticia Lee, founder of the Alliance In Support Of Our Police Force.
After the hearing, which lasted about five minutes, the defendants left the court without taking questions from the media.
Chung did not deny or confirm reports that the defense is planning to hire high-paid barristers Huan Cheng and Lawrence Lok.
The officers were caught on a news camera beating Civic Party member Ken Tsang in a dark corner near the main staging area of last year’s pro-democracy protests.
– Contact us at [email protected]