A 47-year-old woman was diagnosed with sepsis after she ate sushi — rice with raw salmon and shellfish — from a Japanese take-away shop called Sushi Take-Out in Wanchai late last month, Ming Pao Daily reported Friday.
The patient, who had underlying illnesses, developed a fever on Nov. 8 and was taken for medical treatment.
Sepsis, which can be fatal, occurs when tissue is infected with bacteria and their toxins.
The sushi outlet, on the ground floor of Luen Tai Building at 93-99 Wan Chai Road, suspended its operations.
The Centre for Food Safety found listeriosis-causing bacteria in food samples and on utensils used for preparing food at the outlet.
The CFS said Sushi Take-Out surrendered or destroyed all the food items in the shop and suspended its operations for its premises to be sterilized.
The food safety agency said it will consider pressing charges.
There were 22 cases of listeriosis in 2013 and 26 last year, resulting in a total of five deaths.
From the beginning of this year until Wednesday, 15 cases were recorded, with one death.
The CFS said the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes may be found in contaminated raw foods, such as unpasteurized milk, vegetables and uncooked meats, as well as processed foods that become contaminated during or after processing, such as soft cheese and cold cuts.
The bacteria are able to survive low temperatures and can multiply in refrigerated food that has been contaminated, but they can be killed by cooking.
Pregnant women, newborns, infants, the elderly and people with chronic diseases or weakened immunity are at higher risk of being infected.
– Contact us at [email protected]