A two-year-old girl had to be sent to hospital after her hand was trapped in a train door at the MTR Station in Shek Kip Mei on Sunday night, Apple Daily reported.
The girl, surnamed Siu, boarded the train on the Kwun Tong line with her parents and relatives. She was being carried by her mother when her left hand got stuck in the door as it closed.
The girl cried out loud, apparently from shock and intense pain, prompting other passengers to flock around her.
The parents turned panicky as they took turns to hold and comfort their daughter.
One passenger sounded the alarm to notify the train operator of the accident.
Several passengers tried to pull out Siu’s hand, but it only caused the little girl more pain.
By then the train compartment had turned chaotic with some yelling at the parents and other passengers not to move the girl as any action could worsen her situation.
One passenger handed out a tube of hand cream to serve as lubricant to free Siu’s hand but it was of no use.
Two MTR platform staff arrived at the scene and one of them used a screwdriver to open the train door by force.
It took a total of eight minutes for the girl to be rescued.
MTR staff inspected the door, which had a few scratches, and decided it would require no immediate repair. The train service resumed right after.
The girl was sent to hospital together with her parents to determine if she sustained an injury.
– Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org