19 February 2019
All the elevators (inset) of Ho King Commercial Center are not working. Photos:, Wen Wei Po
All the elevators (inset) of Ho King Commercial Center are not working. Photos:, Wen Wei Po

Man dies after climbing 15 floors of Mong Kok building

A 69-year-old man died after he climbed 15 floors of a commercial building in Mong Kok because all the elevators were not working.

The man, surnamed Hung, was said to have a history of high blood pressure, Ming Pao Daily reported on Tuesday. 

Hung rented an office on the 21st floor of Ho King Commercial Center at the corner of Fa Yuen and Dundas streets in Mong Kok.

He used to own a shoes factory but later switched into trading. He folded the business recently but the office lease at Ho King was still in effect.

Hung decided to go back to his office to tidy up his belongings on Monday, his wife said.

All four passenger lifts at the commercial building were suspended for repair. They have been out of order since Nov. 28.

Hung was last seen catching his breath while seated on the staircase of the 15th floor by a staffer of a shop on the same floor. 

When asked, Hung told the employee, surnamed Wong, that he was fine. But as he stood up to continue his journey to his office on the 21st floor, he collapsed.

Wong said Hung was unconscious when he fell with his back on the floor and his tongue out.

Wong called the emergency hotline and ambulance men arrived at the scene in 10 minutes.

The paramedics put an oxygen mask on Hung, while a defibrillator was used in an attempt to resuscitate him.

They then carried Hung on a folding chair, performing a chest massage on him on each floor as they went down to the ground floor.

Hung was rushed to the Kwong Wah Hospital where he was certified dead.

Good System Management Ltd., who manages Ho King, said someone had opened the building’s fire hose system last month, causing water to flood the four lifts and damaging their electrical components.

One of the lifts has been repaired and was undergoing tests as of Monday night. It was scheduled to resume service on Tuesday morning.

– Contact us at [email protected]


EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe