Dozens of people are still missing after Sunday’s landslide in Shenzhen as thousands of rescue workers continue their search.
Signs of life were detected under the debris but no victim had been found by Monday, Ming Pao Daily reports, citing local officials.
About 85 are unaccounted for, they said.
At least 16 people were hospitalized and 900 were evacuated after the disaster struck at 11:40 a.m. on Sunday when a pile of construction debris came crashing downhill.
All are in stable condition.
The landslide covered a 380,000-square-meter area in silt 10 meters deep, Shenzhen deputy mayor Liu Qingsheng said.
It buried or damaged buildings belonging to 15 companies in three industrial parks.
On Monday, 2,000 rescue workers began a massive search led by State Councilor Wang Yong, who headed a delegation from Beijing.
But some relatives of the missing victims complained that the rescue efforts are not fast enough.
Liu Guonan, a researcher in the China Academy of Railway Sciences, said the landslide mass is too loose and watery, making rescue very difficult.
In some areas, rescuers are hampered by hard mud after digging eight to nine meters, where victims might be trapped.
Liu said he has never seen anything like it in 30 years.
– Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org