North Korea slammed a decision by the World Economic Forum (WEF) to revoke an invitation to its annual gathering of political and economic leaders in Davos next week.
It described the Switzerland-based organization’s move as a “very sinister act” driven by forces pursuing an extreme hostile policy towards North Korea, the Wall Street Journal reported.
The WEF will be “held duly responsible for the consequences to be entailed by its unfriendly measure,” Pyongyang was quoted as saying in a letter carried by state media.
North Korean officials, led by the nation’s foreign minister, had been scheduled to attend a WEF gathering for the first time in 18 years.
But the invitation was withdrawn in the wake of the nation’s nuclear test last week.
The WEF said on Wednesday that it had hoped to encourage Pyongyang’s engagement with global leaders, but the nuclear test had undermined the chance to have discussions in the usual spirit of the gathering at Davos.
It said in a statement that it will welcome a delegation in the future if North Korea “acts as a responsible and responsive member of the international community”, according to the report.
The Davos forum, which will run Jan. 20-23, will have US Vice President Joe Biden among the various participants.
– Contact us at email@example.com