In June 2012, two women jogging in the Bois de Vincennes forest east of Paris stumbled upon a human leg “cut off at the ankle”. Two days later, a dog dug up part of a human torso.
Thus began a gruesome murder case that started with a nannying job and ended with the parents chopped up in the bathtub, Agence France-Presse reported.
Efforts to find the rest of the bodies were in vain, and all investigators could determine was that the body parts belonged to an Asian woman and man.
A week after the macabre discovery, a Chinese couple turned themselves in to police and admitted killing another Chinese couple, Ying Wang and her husband Liangsi Xu.
The woman, Hui Zhang, said she had been the couple’s nanny.
She told police how one night several weeks earlier, she had found their employers’ two-year-old son Lucas dead, asphyxiated in his sleep.
She and her partner Te Lu decided to offer the child’s parents money to try to get them not to report the boy’s death, the news agency said.
They said they invited the parents to their home, but their revelation triggered the parents’ fury.
A fight broke out and the nanny said she grabbed a small axe and slashed at the couple, killing them.
Hui Zhang and Te Lu said they acted in self-defense, noting that the parents had attacked them with a butcher’s knife. Te Lu was seriously injured in the fight.
Hui Zhang said she put the two bodies in the bathtub and cut them up with an electric saw. She turned on the washing machine to hide any noise.
Then she and her partner got rid of the body parts, hidden in dustbin bags, and cleaned the apartment.
The couple’s confession led police to find further human remains in a dustbin bag in the forest, but not the body of the child, Lucas.
Hui Zhang said she threw his body, as well as the rest of the remains, into dustbins.
The couple — both aged 34 — arrived in France in 2004.
Psychologists say Te Hu had no criminal leanings and Hui Zhang was “extremely intelligent”.
While Lucas’s grandfather told police the nanny gave the child sleeping tablets, other parents have described her as attentive and the case relating to the boy’s death was dismissed.
The Chinese couple go on trial for double murder on Tuesday.
– Contact us at [email protected]