A middle-aged man would have succeeded in an attempt to kill himself if not for the intervention of his domestic helper.
The 49-year-old man, surnamed So, tried to commit suicide by burning charcoal inside his room in a public housing unit in On Yam Estate in Kwai Chung, Headline Daily reported Friday.
The 39-year-old maid was woken by the choking smell at about 4 a.m. on Thursday and found So semi-unconscious in his room, next to a plate of burnt charcoal.
She called police, and the man regained his consciousness before being taken to Princess Margaret Hospital in Lai Chi Kok.
So is reportedly suffering from financial problems.
Police do not suspect foul play.
EJ Insight supports efforts to help people deal with depression and related issues. Here is the 24-hour multilingual suicide prevention hotline of The Samaritans: +852 2896 0000 (or email [email protected]).
– Contact us at [email protected]