Date
20 July 2017
Firefighters inspect an apartment building in Causeway Bay after a blaze caused by an electric heater. The apartment owner is in hospital after suffering severe burns. Photos: Google Maps, Cable TV
Firefighters inspect an apartment building in Causeway Bay after a blaze caused by an electric heater. The apartment owner is in hospital after suffering severe burns. Photos: Google Maps, Cable TV

Man injured as electric heater catches fire; pet dog dies

An electric heater caught fire in a flat in Causeway Bay on Wednesday, giving rise to noxious fumes and taking the life of a pet dog of the apartment owner.

According to Wen Wei Po, the accident happened in the morning in a flat on the sixth floor of Florida Mansion.

A 58-year-old man surnamed Wu was said to be living alone in the apartment along with his two pet canines — a golden retriever and a shepherd dog.

As the fire broke out, Wu managed to make it out of the apartment just in time along with his pets.

He scrambled downstairs, but apparently one of dogs ran back up the steps to the scene of the accident.

It then suffocated and died. Firefighters later found the body of the animal — shepherd dog — on the seventh floor, Headline Daily reported.

Wu, meanwhile, was taken to the Queen Mary Hospital as he suffered severe burns on face, arms and legs.

He is said to be in critical condition.

It took firefighters about 50 minutes to extinguish the fire in the apartment. Around 70 residents in the area were asked to vacate their flats temporarily for safety reasons.

Preliminary investigation from the Fire Services Department suggested that a short circuit may have caused the electric heater to burst into flames. Flying sparks set some objects in the apartment on fire.

According to an advisory from the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department, users should check heater units for damage before use. Also, combustible materials should not be placed near the operating unit.

– Contact us at [email protected]

DY/JP/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe