A photo of dead ants floating on a cup of soda bought from a convenience store in Tin Shui Wai has gone viral on social media.
The netizen who posted the photo on his Facebook account called “Hilarious Pics” said he bought the soft-drink from a 7-Eleven store at Kingswood Richly Plaza on Wednesday, Headline Daily reports.
He said while he was filling a 32-ounce Big Gulp container, dead ants gushed from the soda machine.
Some netizens who saw the photo commented that they had come across similar situations before, while others said they wouldn’t buy soda coming from such dispensers again.
Responding to inquiries, the convenience store in question said it had stopped operating the soda dispenser after the incident and asked the supplier to sterilize the machine thoroughly, adding that it was treating the case very seriously.
A medical doctor said a machine loaded with soda can easily attract ants, which may carry bacteria existing in the pipes.
Those who take the ants along with soda might suffer from gastroenteritis or even hepatitis, the doctor said.
– Contact us at [email protected]