Date
22 January 2017
A judge has upheld a sentence given to a mainlander who got into a violent quarrel with another person at Ocean Park in 2013. Photo: HKEJ
A judge has upheld a sentence given to a mainlander who got into a violent quarrel with another person at Ocean Park in 2013. Photo: HKEJ

Mainlander loses appeal after guilty verdict in Ocean Park spat

A High Court judge has turned down an appeal by a mainlander who had been convicted of injuring a Hongkonger in a spat at Ocean Park two-and-a-half years ago.

Turning down the appeal, Judge Stanley Chan Kwong-chi upheld a sentence given by a lower court previously against the man, Apple Daily reported.

The appellant, a man named Xiao Hui, had earlier been found guilty by the Eastern Magistrates’ Court on one count of wounding.

He was sentenced to five-week jail and ordered to pay HK$3,800 in compensation to the victim, a person surnamed Hung.

The case arose as Xiao is alleged to have punched Hung several times amid a quarrel on Aug. 9, 2013 as they were waiting for cable car services at Ocean Park.

The quarrel broke out as Xiao and his wife were trying to jump the queue. Starting with exchange of words, the altercation soon turned physical and Hung suffered some blows to his head.

Xiao’s wife told the High Court that Hung initiated the incident, and that the trouble arose due to social and cultural differences.

Xiao also said that it was Hung who attacked him, and not the other way round.

The wounds that the Hongkonger presented may have been inflicted by Hung himself, the mainlander said.

However, Judge Chan did not buy the arguments. 

If Xiao had simply pushed Hung for the sake of self-defense, the latter wouldn’t have suffered an 8-centimeter-long wound in the forehead, the judge noted.

Hong Kong is a civilized society where violence is unacceptable as a means to resolve disputes, he said.

– Contact us at [email protected]

DY/JP/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter