A rubbish bin located at a junction between Shanghai Street and Saigon Street in Yau Ma Tei caught fire Thursday evening, setting off a small explosion.
Firefighters arrived at the scene to put out the blaze which occurred at around 8 pm, Apple Daily reported.
An inspection of the burnt trash can revealed four gas canisters inside. One of the canisters was found to have exploded while the remaining three were found intact.
Police do not suspect foul play and have ruled out the possibility of arson.
A preliminary investigation indicated that the explosion was set off by a gas canister due to burning cigarette butts, officials said.
The incident caused some jitters as it came just days after the violent clashes between protesters and police in Mong Kok.
Two masked men tagged in Legco rubbish bin fire, explosion (Dec 10, 2015)
– Contact us at [email protected]