Date
16 January 2017
The screw inside the dumpling was big enough to cause injury if ingested. Photos: Openrice.com, Apple Daily
The screw inside the dumpling was big enough to cause injury if ingested. Photos: Openrice.com, Apple Daily

Scary shumai lunch at Quarry Bay restaurant

One could just laugh it off as a silly mistake, but for a mother of a seven-year-old boy, it was a frightening experience.

The mother, surnamed Mok, together with her son and six friends, had lunch at Foo Ka Chinese Restaurant at Kerry Center in Quarry Bay on Sunday, according to Apple Daily.

They ordered fried rice, fried noodles and some pork dumplings or shumai.

She noticed that her son was having trouble eating the shumai so she helped him by cutting it into smaller pieces. 

To her shock, she found it had a screw inside.

She promptly called the waiter and manager, who apologized and offered her free lunch and parking.

Mrs. Mok would have just charged everything to experience, but the thought of her son swallowing the screw made her break out in cold sweat.

So she lodged a complaint with the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department.

The restaurant manager admitted there was something wrong with the pork mixer and he suspected one of the workers forgot to tighten the screw, which eventually found its way into the food.

The FEHD gave a stern warning to the restaurant, and the manager promised the mixer would be fixed and the incident would never happen again.

– Contact us at [email protected]

KZ/AC/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter