26 October 2016
Ray Wong leaves the Kowloon City magistrate's court after being granted bail on Tuesday. Photo: SocREC/Facebook
Ray Wong leaves the Kowloon City magistrate's court after being granted bail on Tuesday. Photo: SocREC/Facebook

Hong Kong Indigenous leader granted bail with conditions

Ray Wong Toi-yeung, convenor of the localist group Hong Kong Indigenous who was arrested on Sunday, has been granted bail with conditions.

The 22-year-old activist has been charged with inciting violence during clashes between police and protesters in Mong Kok on the night of Feb. 8.

During a hearing at the Kowloon City magistrate’s court on Tuesday, Wong was ordered released on a bail of HK$100,000 (US$12,873) in cash and another HK$100,000 cash surety from his mother, Ming Pao Daily reported on Wednesday.

The magistrate also ordered Wong to remain in Hong Kong and stay away from the area where the clashes took place, except to pass by transport, as part of the conditions for his temporary liberty.

He was also told to obey a curfew order from midnight to 6 a.m. and report to the police regularly.

Assistant director of public prosecutions Ned Lai Ka-yee opposed the bail, noting that Wong is charged with rioting which carries a penalty of 10 years in prison if convicted.

Lai said he has reasons to believe that Wong, who is suspected of having urged protesters to attack police, is very likely to jump bail after his release.

He also noted that the items found in Wong’s hideout in Tin Shui Wai could result in the filing of more charges against him.

Police seized HK$530,000 in cash, several kinds of chemicals, a stun gun, a baton, an electromagnetic gun, a mask and dozens of Viagra pills during a raid that led to Wong’s arrest on Sunday.

Senior counsel Nigel Kat, who represents Wong, told the court it was not surprising to find cash in the flat where Wong was hiding as the man, surnamed Cheung, who lived in the flat and was arrested along with Wong, was treasurer of Hong Kong Indigenous.

Cheung, 28, rejected bail while police reserved the right for further prosecution as he faces further police investigation.

A hearing on the case will reopen on March 22, pending police investigation and legal advice from the Department of Justice.

Police have so far arrested 70 people for suspected involvement in the Mong Kok clashes. Only 47 have been charged.

– Contact us at [email protected]


EJI Weekly Newsletter