28 October 2016
Ho Chio-Meng was Macau's chief prosecutor until 2014. Photo: Xinhua
Ho Chio-Meng was Macau's chief prosecutor until 2014. Photo: Xinhua

Graft probe targets former top prosecutor in Macau

Macau’s anti-corruption agency has begun an investigation into the city’s former top prosecutor, Reuters reports.

It is the highest-profile graft case in the world’s largest gambling hub in a decade.

The Commission Against Corruption said in a statement on its website Saturday it had initiated a criminal investigation into a case involving “former leadership staff of the Public Prosecutions Office” who received illicit gains of 44 million patacas (US$5.5 million) from public work contracts worth more than 167 million patacas.

Two lawmakers and several casino executives confirmed to the news agency that Ho Chio-meng, chief prosecutor until 2014, was the key official among those being investigated.

Ho, who was once tipped as a candidate for the chief executive post in the former Portuguese colony, was photographed by Macau media entering the court of final appeal Saturday.

“It is Ho,” one lawmaker, who asked not to be identified, was quoted as saying.

“I am not surprised, as in 2015 he was not seen in Macau for many months and it was said that he was in the mainland.”

Macau’s anti-corruption body said some of the people involved in the corruption case had been detained, while travel restrictions had been put on others, as well as “suspension from public duties”.

– Contact us at [email protected]


EJI Weekly Newsletter