Date
20 October 2017
Armed police apprehend a suspect in Molenbeek, near Brussels on March 18. Salah Abdeslam, one of the main suspects from November's Paris attacks, was arrested after a shootout with police in the Belgian capital on Friday, Credit: Reuters
Armed police apprehend a suspect in Molenbeek, near Brussels on March 18. Salah Abdeslam, one of the main suspects from November's Paris attacks, was arrested after a shootout with police in the Belgian capital on Friday, Credit: Reuters

Captured Paris suspect may have planned more attacks: Belgium

Salah Abdeslam, the prime surviving suspect in last year’s Paris terror attacks, may have been plotting more operations, Belgium’s foreign minister said on Sunday.

Didier Reynders, speaking two days after the capture of Abdeslam, said the suspect’s first statement to a magistrate in Brussels suggested that further attacks were planned, Reuters reported.

“He was ready to restart something from Brussels,” Reynders was quoted as saying at a think-tank event.

“That is maybe the reality, because we have found a lot of heavy weapons and we have seen a new network around him.”

Belgium and France had so far found around 30 people involved in the gun and bomb attacks that killed 130 people on Nov. 13 in the French capital, Reynders said.

Capturing Abdeslam alive marks a breakthrough for authorities investigating the deadliest militant strikes in Europe since 2004.

Islamic State has claimed responsibility, and the United States warned on Sunday that it would try to repeat such atrocities.

Abdeslam, who was shot in the leg and caught by police in Brussels after an intense four-month manhunt, spent his first night in a high security prison in the northwestern Belgian city of Bruges.

The 26-year-old French national is due to appear before a judge in Brussels on Wednesday.

– Contact us at [email protected]

RA/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe