The US government has dropped its court case against Apple Inc. after it was able to access data stored on an encrypted iPhone used by Syed Rizwan Farook, one of the attackers in last year’s shooting in San Bernardino, California.
The Justice Department asked a court to withdraw an order compelling Apple to assist in accessing the data, Reuters reported, citing a court filing on Monday.
The technology company fought a court order obtained by the FBI last month that required it to write new software to disable passcode protection and allow access to the phone used by one of the shooters, Rizwan Farook.
US officials said last week they were hopeful they would be able to unlock the iPhone without help from Apple.
In a two-page court filing, the Justice Department said the government “no longer requires” Apple’s assistance.
At issue was a county-owned iPhone used by Farook, one of the husband-and-wife shooters in the San Bernardino shooting in December in which 14 people were killed and 22 wounded.
The couple died in a shootout with police after the rampage.
– Contactus at [email protected]