Date
25 March 2017
The flat in Cheung Hong Estate was severely damaged in the fire, which caused 400 residents of the building to be evacuated. Photo: Google Maps
The flat in Cheung Hong Estate was severely damaged in the fire, which caused 400 residents of the building to be evacuated. Photo: Google Maps

Man in critical condition with burns after computer explodes

A man suffered burns to 20 percent of his body in a fire caused by the explosion of a computer at his home in Tsing Yi, Headline Daily reported Wednesday.

The victim, a 43-year-old man surnamed Chan, was using the computer on Tuesday in his flat on the 21st floor of Hong Cheung House at Cheung Hong Estate when the device exploded in flames.

Chan suffered burns to his limbs and is in critical condition.

About 400 of the building’s residents were immediately evacuated to the ground floor.

Two teenagers, both 16, were taken to a hospital after inhaling smoke in the staircase on the 28th floor.

A 54-year-old woman who lives on the 34th floor twisted her ankle during the evacuation.

The fire was put out in about half an hour.

Chan’s flat was severely damaged.

Firefighters suspected that the fire was caused by a short circuit in the computer’s cables or power adapter.

Electrical experts said computers must be cleaned and dusted regularly, especially the ventilation outlet, which is designed for cooling the device.

Experts also suggested removing unnecessary software on a computer, so as to alleviate the burden on its processor and minimize the risk of overheating.

However, some netizens argued that even if a computer breaks down because too many pieces of software are installed, that should not lead to an explosion of the hardware.

Instead, they suggested regular check-ups of the hardware.

– Contact us at [email protected]

EL/AC/FL

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe