Taiwan authorities appear to have changed their minds with regard to 20 suspects in a telecom fraud case linked to China.
After releasing the suspects last weekend and angering China, prosecutors took most of them into custody on Thursday, Reuters reports.
The move came as Taiwanese officials are in Beijing this week to negotiate the return of 45 of its citizens who were forcibly sent to China from Kenya and linked to a similar telephone fraud case abroad against Chinese nationals.
Taiwan authorities have said earlier that they had requested evidence from China ahead of the arrival of the 20 Taiwanese deported on Friday from Malaysia, but no information was provided.
Hong Chia-juan, a chief prosecutor in the Taichung District Prosecutors Office, said Thursday’s move came after visual evidence gathered from Malaysian authorities gave his team the evidence they needed to detain most of the individuals for at least two months for investigation.
Two of the suspects were under effective house arrest with their movements limited, Hong said.
– Contact us at [email protected]