Date
26 March 2017
The accident happened outside Keung Kee restaurant on Lockhart Road in Wan Chai. Photo: Baidu.com
The accident happened outside Keung Kee restaurant on Lockhart Road in Wan Chai. Photo: Baidu.com

Wan Chai restaurant owner burned after lighter ignites shirt

A restaurant owner in Wan Chai suffered burns after a lighter in his pocket burst into flames by itself, but he was lucky to escape serious injuries, Apple Daily reports.

The accident took place at around 10 a.m. Tuesday in front of Keung Kee on Lockhart Road, a restaurant that gained fame after it was recommended by the prestigious Michelin Guide.

Police said Ng Siu-fung, 56, who owns the establishment with his two brothers, lit up a cigarette and put the lighter back in the right pocket of his shirt.

Suddenly, the lighter caught fire and his shirt was soon in flames.

Shocked, Ng used his hands to put out the fire while his younger brother hastily poured water onto the fire and helped him take off the shirt.

Ng was later sent to hospital, where he was kept in the intensive care unit.

He was in stable condition, while his burned chest and right hand were wrapped in bandages.

Ng said a family member had bought the lighter, which was touted as wind-proof, in the mainland.

Police said another lighter was found in Ng’s shirt pocket where the fire started, suspecting that a gas leak from either one of the lighters resulted in combustion.

A similar accident happened on the night of March 1, when Tang Anqi, 23, a member of the Shanghai-based idol girl group SNH48, was severely burned in a coffee shop in Shanghai after a lighter caught fire and ignited her clothes.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe