A man who was suspected of posting online messages calling for the occupation of the official residence of Hong Kong’s chief executive during the 2014 Umbrella Movement was on Thursday declared not guilty.
The Kwun Tong Magistrates’ court cleared Yau Man-king, 26, of two charges of obtaining access to a computer with criminal intent, Apple Daily reports.
Yau had been accused of posting online an eight-page proposal titled “Occupy Government House, Overthrow Leung Chun-ying” in the first week of November 2014.
The message was seen on an online forum and a Facebook page during the period.
Yau was arrested a day before the intended event, and was charged with two counts of obtaining access to a computer with criminal intent and two counts of inciting others to violence.
The latter two counts were alternative charges.
Delivering a verdict Thursday, a judge said it is uncertain whether it was Yau or his brother who registered for the home broadband service that was used for uploading the document using the computer from home.
As there is no sufficient proof, Yau was declared not guilty.
Following the court ruling, Yau said he felt happy and relieved.
However, he said he is worried that the prosecution might lodge an appeal, which might lead to further legal process and suspension of his security license renewal, Headline Daily reports.
The proposal which Yau was said to have published online had outlined ways to get into Government House, the official residence of the chief executive, and also offered guidance of how to get away from the building if necessary.
Translation by Chloe Chow
– Contact us at [email protected]