Beer is an absolute necessity for some sports fans. They wash their excitement down with it or toast their favorite teams in all its frothy glory.
Euro Cup and Olympics diehards, for instance, can hardly be seen without a can or bottle of their favorite tipple.
For something light and easy, they can’t go wrong with wheat beer.
Hoegaarden White, a Belgian beer spiced up with coriander and orange peel, is a good choice to start with.
It has beaten 77 other beers to win the gold medal in the Belgian-style Witbier 2016 Beer World Cup.
Beer cocktail of this variety goes well with salty snacks — nuts or chips — as well as desserts.
Tom Burney, founder and executive chef of Invisible Kitchen, has the perfect recipe — Belgian waffles with whipped cream and ginger gaarden cocktail.
175g soft flour, 5g baking powder, 3g soda powder, 30g sugar, 0.5 tsp cinnamon powder, 30g salted butter, 100g milk, 50g Hoegaarden Rosee, 4 eggs, 5g vanilla extract, 5g green food color
For whipped cream:
225g whipped cream, 25g sugar, 31.25g Hoegaarden White
For ginger gaarden:
40g lime juice, 40g ginger syrup, 25g ginger bear, 3g edible gold glitter, 220ml Hoegaarden White, ice
1. Sift and mix soft flour, baking powder, soda powder, sugar and cinnamon powder in a large bowl.
2. Melt the butter, add milk and beer. Mix butter with egg and put in vanilla extract.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour. Pour the mixture from step 2 into the well gradually. Mix well until smooth and without granules. Add green food coloring.
4. Preheat waffle maker. Spray some oil on the mold and then pour in the waffle mixture from step 3. Bake for one minute and 45 seconds. Remove the waffle and cool it down on a tray.
5. Whisk whipped cream and sugar till 60 percent ready and gradually pour beer.
6. Mix lime juice, ginger syrup, ginger beer, edible gold glitter and ice in a shaker, then pour the mixture into a glass, followed by beer.
This article appeared in the Hong Kong Economic Journal on July 2.
Translation by Darlie Yiu
[Chinese version 中文版]
– Contact us at [email protected]