Date
24 May 2017
German emergency services workers work in the area where a man with an axe attacked passengers on a train near the city of Wuerzburg late Monday. Photo: Reuters
German emergency services workers work in the area where a man with an axe attacked passengers on a train near the city of Wuerzburg late Monday. Photo: Reuters

Four HK residents wounded in German train attack

Four tourists from Hong Kong have been hospitalized in Germany following an Islamist-inspired attack on a train in Bavaria late Monday.

The four Hong Kong residents — a husband and wife, their daughter and her boyfriend — were wounded after an Afghan immigrant armed with an axe and knife went on a rampage on a train.

In the attack that took place near the southern German town of Wurzburg, the husband and his daughter’s boyfriend suffered the most serious injuries, according to RTHK.

The couple’s son, who was also with them, escaped unhurt.

Officials said the train attack was carried out by a 17-year-old Afghan who came to Germany as an unaccompanied minor and was registered as a refugee in June last year. 

Police shot dead the young man as he fled the bloody scene after the rampage.

A special police force unit happened to be nearby and was able to mobilize quickly to deal with the incident.

Police found a hand-painted Islamic State flag in the refugee’s room at his foster family’s home, along with a letter he appeared to have written to his father, Reuters reported.

The letter is said to bear this message: “And now pray for me that I can get revenge on these non-believers, pray for me that I go to heaven.”

Authorities have not released the attacker’s name publicly because he was a minor. 

Islamic State (IS) has claimed responsibility for the attack, posting a video of the purported attacker.

But there was no evidence the attacker had been in contact with IS, German officials said, suggesting that the young man may have been self-radicalized. 

Hong Kong authorities, meanwhile, said they will offer all possible assistance to the wounded tourists. 

The Immigration Department said it will send a team of four officials to help the Hong Kong victims, who are being treated in three different hospitals.

– Contact us at [email protected]

RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe