A worm the size of a little finger was seen crawling out of a piece of durian flesh from a pack sold at Wellcome Supermarket at Chun Shek Estate in Tai Wai on Sunday evening, Apple Daily reports.
A male shopper, surnamed Ho, said he purchased the pack containing three pieces of durian flesh for HK$30, and brought it home for his mother.
But after eating two pieces, his mother was shocked by the horrible sight of a creature crawling out of the fruit.
“It was like an earthworm, and absolutely horrible!” Ho said, adding that his mother threw up after feeling sick.
They called the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department and filed a complaint, and was told that a warning may or may not be issued to the supermarket chain.
When they confronted the supervisor at the Wellcome branch, they were given a refund of HK$30 for the product.
No packaged durian products were available at the Wellcome store when Apple Daily reporters visited the shop on Tuesday.
Wellcome said regular inspections and spot checks are being conducted in all its branches to ensure food safety.
Meanwhile, the Centre for Food Safety said in a report on Wednesday that curcumin, a banned coloring substance, was detected in durians sold at Lee Hing Laan in Yau Ma Tei and Honeley Court in Tuen Mun.
The stores were ordered to remove the products in question from their shelves immediately.
Under existing regulations, curcumin can be applied on processed food but it cannot be used on uncooked or unprocessed meat and fruits.
A maximum fine of HK$50,000 and six months’ imprisonment could be handed to offenders.
– Contact us at [email protected]