Date
22 July 2017
A firefighter holds a burnt charger and rice cooker found in the kitchen of an apartment in Kwai Luen Estate in Kwai Chung. Photos: WIkipedia, Apple Daily
A firefighter holds a burnt charger and rice cooker found in the kitchen of an apartment in Kwai Luen Estate in Kwai Chung. Photos: WIkipedia, Apple Daily

Over 100 evacuated in Kwai Chung as mobile charger sets off fire

More than 100 residents of a public rental housing estate in Kwai Chung were evacuated Wednesday following a fire at an apartment in one of the buildings at the complex.

According to Headline Daily, the evacuation came after a mobile power bank is believed to have caught fire in a unit, setting off a bigger blaze.

The fire was reported at about 9:10 am by a resident living in Kwai Luen Estate after she saw heavy smoke coming out of a flat in Luen Yan House, one of the four buildings of the estate.

Firemen rushed to the scene and evacuated about 130 residents before putting out the fire.

A couple and their two children who lived the flat where the fire broke out also managed to escape.

Firefighters took about 30 minutes to put out the blaze. No one was injured.

A Chinese-made portable charger for mobile devices was later found by firemen in the kitchen of the flat where the blaze started.

It was suspected that the fire stemmed from a short-circuit after the device was left charging all night.

The kitchen in the apartment was found severely damaged by flames.

The device, along with its accessories and a rice cooker, were taken away for further inspection.

Suen Ming-lam, technical director at Hong Kong and Kowloon Electrical Engineering and Appliances Trade Workers Union, reminded consumers that they should only choose mobile chargers and cables made by original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).

Non-OEM products might pose safety hazards, Apple Daily quoted him as saying.

Census office drops China-made USB chargers after explosion (July 20, 2016)

- Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe