At least five people suffered burns in To Kwa Wan on Wednesday as a corrosive liquid fell on them from a building above a wet market.
It is believed that someone dropped acid from a high floor of a hotel that was near the To Kwa Wan Market.
A woman surnamed Shum who owns a vegetable stall in the area said she felt burning pain on her neck.
Upon inspection, the streetside vendor realized that some corrosive liquid had fallen on her.
Shum recalled there were more than a dozen people nearby who were also affected when the liquid attack took place. “It was almost like rain,” hk01.com quoted her as saying.
According to the news website, the acid splash started at around 8 am and lasted for about 30 minutes. The liquid was said to have been flung three times.
The Metropolis Daily reported that among the injured was a female tourist from Guangxi province. The mainland woman was waiting for other members of her tour group when she took a hit.
The woman said she had no clue about what was happening until she saw blisters on her arm.
Police officers believe the liquid was flung from a window on the seventh floor of the O’ Hotel, which is only several meters away from the market.
An inspection has been carried out within the hotel, and officers found traces of some unknown liquid on a window. No one has been arrested yet as the investigation is still ongoing.
Dr. Jeffrey Fung Hin-tat from the Tuen Mun Hospital’s Department of Accident & Emergency advised the public that in the event of corrosive liquid attacks, one should flush the affected skin area with water for ten minutes.
Victims should also try to take off the clothing that is affected by the corrosive liquid.
Fung said one could suffer from swelling on the skin for a first-degree burn, while a second-degree burn could leave behind blisters and scars.
A third-degree burn would damage the dermis and lead to the destruction of sensory receptors, and would require skin grafting surgeries.
– Contact us at [email protected]