Date
21 July 2017
Firemen investigate the damaged permining machine. A short-circuit ignited the equipment and burned the hair of a woman. Photos: Google Maps, Metro Daily
Firemen investigate the damaged permining machine. A short-circuit ignited the equipment and burned the hair of a woman. Photos: Google Maps, Metro Daily

Sisters injured after hair-perming machine catches fire

Two sisters were injured when a ceramic perming machine caught fire in a Sham Shui Po hair salon.

A short circuit produced sparks in the equipment and ignited the hair of the 44-year-old younger sister, Metro Daily reports.

Acrid fumes enveloped the victim as she tried to fight off the fire while tethered to heated wire curlers. 

Her elder sister tried to get her out of the tangle and ended up with burns in her left arm.

The younger sister sustained burns to her head, back and both hands. 

The women were taken to the Caritas Medical Center by emergency services personnel after the 51-year-old beauty shop owner had called the police.

Firemen and inspectors from CLP Power, who arrived to check the machine, confirmed the cause of the incident.

The younger sister has been a regular customer of the Tai Po Road salon for more than 10 years, according to Apple Daily.

She said she plans to seek compensation from the shop.

Ceramic perming is used to fashion hair in a certain way — mostly to create long-lasting hairdo — using electric perming rolls at high temperatures.

Potential risk comes from combustible chemicals and electric current and the lengthy procedure which could take up to three hours, industry sources said.

The machine was bought in China for HK$2,000 (US$258) about five years ago, according to reports.

Senior barrister Albert Luk said the victims are entitled to compensation from the hair salon, which should have a third-party liability insurance.

– Contact us at [email protected]

EL/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe