Date
23 January 2017
The nail was found inside a cone of Nestlé ice-cream bought at a ParknShop Supermarket in Tsz Wan Shan. Photos: blogspot.com, hk.toluna.com, Taobao
The nail was found inside a cone of Nestlé ice-cream bought at a ParknShop Supermarket in Tsz Wan Shan. Photos: blogspot.com, hk.toluna.com, Taobao

2-inch nail found inside Nestlé ice-cream cone

A two-inch screw nail was found inside a Nestlé ice-cream cone purchased at a ParknShop outlet in Tsz Wan Shan, prompting fears of food contamination, Apple Daily reports.

A lady surnamed Lo said she was at her grandmother’s home at Tsz Ching Estate in Tsz Wan Shan last Saturday and was having a cone of Nestlé ice-cream purchased a day earlier from the ParknShop supermarket downstairs.

Then she bit on a hard object, which at first she thought was a piece of chocolate but soon she discovered it was a two-inch-long silver screw nail.

Lo said it was disgusting to find a nail inside the cone and suspected that something must have gone wrong during the manufacturing process.

She said her grandmother had bought a pack of mango-flavored ice-cream in cones and one pack of chocolate-flavored ones for a combined HK$55.9.

“My nephew is only two years old, and she could have swallowed the nail,” Lo said.

She said she has filed a complaint with the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department and she hopes the authorities will collect more samples from the outlet for further investigation.

A spokesperson for Nestlé said it was the first time they received such a report and they wish to get in touch with the consumer to get more details about the incident.

– Contact us at [email protected]

EL/AC/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter